Wednesday 13 June 2012

Just One Problem

Finally I am making progress!

I cannot believe it, I am ready to cast on the Tempting sleeves... There is just ONE PROBLEM: double. pointed. needles.

I must learn how to knit in the round using four needles.

I want to knit mittens, I want to knit socks, I want to knit a great many things using double-pointed needles but every time I pick them up and cast on I feel so awkward.

My hands contort from their usually relaxed knitting posture into gnarled and useless extremities, struggling to hold the whole contraption together without dropping a stitch or throwing the too-tightly woven fabric onto the floor whilst my feet stamp, smoke pours out of my ears and, for the umpteenth time, I curse at my complete inability to master this skill.

It is so frustrating. And it is made even more so when my beloved podcast hosts recount tales of beautiful homemade socks made up sometimes two at a time, seemingly in a jiffy and with no complications... I have a small case of the green-eyed monster and, although I would never wish failure upon anyone, I truly wish for a podcast where someone might detail their struggle with those pointy little demons and what they did to overcome this.

Any takers? Support desperately and gratefully received. Until then I will try again and console myself with the one comforting thought I have: at least I am challenging my mind.

Small compensation but I'm sticking with it.

xxx

1 comment:

  1. i too battled with the four needles but last month finally mastered it and am now on my sixth pair of socks so dont give up :-)

    ReplyDelete